The Maryland Law Journal of Race, Religion, Gender, and Class invites you to our upcoming symposium - A 2020 Election Dissection: How Social Movements for Racial Justice Impact Electoral Politics and Inform Our Path Forward
The virtual event is Wednesday, January 27, and Thursday, January 28, from 5:00 - 6:30 pm on both days, with panelists and speakers including Dean Donald Tobin, DeRay Mckesson, Dena Robinson, Danielle Torain, Dr. Andrea Benjamin, Dr. Khalilah Harris, and Anya Marino.
The symposium will focus on the important work of racial justice movements and how the renewed outrage over white supremacy culture in the US impacted the 2020 electoral cycle. The panel on the 27th will focus on historical connections between racial justice movements of the past and current movements, with respect to responding to and impacting electoral politics. The panel on the 28th will center on issues that played a major role in the 2020 elections, such as policing, public health, education, and housing, and examine how racial justice must play a role in addressing those issues.
PLEASE NOTE - Zoom information will be sent out closer to the event.
Browse the contents of University of Maryland Law Journal of Race, Religion, Gender and Class Symposia:
- Focus on Justice in 2020: A Symposium on Expanding Access to Justice and the Legacy of Judge Francis D. Murnaghan, Jr., March 3, 2020
- Immigration Issues in the 2016 Election: Be Informed and Vote, October 27, 2016
- Gideon at Fifty: Fulfilling the Promise of Right to Counsel for Indigent Defendants, March 22, 2013
- Children at Risk: Examining the Nexus Between Race, the Juvenile Justice System, and Public Education, November 9, 2012
- Cannabis: A Viable Treatment for Veterans with PTSD? April 12, 2012
- Protecting Our Children: A Critical Look at LGBT Youth and Anti-Bullying Policy, November 11, 2011
- Domestic Violence: Causes, Prevention, and Advocacy, April 6, 2011
- Confronting Islam: Shari'ah, the Constitution, and American Muslims, November 5, 2010
- Constitutional Challenge to California's Proposition 8, March 24, 2010
- Problem Solving Courts: A Conversation with the Experts, November 6, 2009
- A Powerful Electorate?: The Impact of Election Law on American Democracy, October 16, 2008
- Maryland Legal Services Corporation 25th Anniversary Symposium: Recognizing Twenty-Five Years of Accomplishments and Setting an Agenda for the Future, October 11, 2007
- Past Symposia