The Maryland Law Journal of Race, Religion, Gender, and Class, with co-hosts the Murnaghan Fellowship and the Public Justice Center, invites you to Focus on Justice in 2020: A Symposium on Expanding Access to Justice and the Legacy of Judge Francis D. Murnaghan, Jr.
The event is Tuesday, March 3, from 3:45pm - 6:15pm in the Ceremonial Courtroom, with panelists and speakers including Dean Donald Tobin, Judge Andre Davis, and Debra Gardner.
Judge Francis D. Murnaghan, Jr. is regarded as one of the most influential judges in the history of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, serving on the bench for 21 years and authoring important opinions in areas of civil rights law. Recognizing the 20th anniversary of the Murnaghan Appellate Advocacy Fellowship and the 100th anniversary of Judge Murnaghan’s birth in Baltimore, the symposium will feature two panels considering challenges and opportunities in expanding access to justice, with special consideration of the enduring contributions of Judge Murnaghan and lessons learned from the work of the Murnaghan Fellows.
Browse the contents of University of Maryland Law Journal of Race, Religion, Gender and Class Symposia:
- Immigration Issues in the 2016 Election: Be Informed and Vote, October 27, 2016
- Gideon at Fifty: Fulfilling the Promise of Right to Counsel for Indigent Defendants, March 22, 2013
- Children at Risk: Examining the Nexus Between Race, the Juvenile Justice System, and Public Education, November 9, 2012
- Cannabis: A Viable Treatment for Veterans with PTSD? April 12, 2012
- Protecting Our Children: A Critical Look at LGBT Youth and Anti-Bullying Policy, November 11, 2011
- Domestic Violence: Causes, Prevention, and Advocacy, April 6, 2011
- Confronting Islam: Shari'ah, the Constitution, and American Muslims, November 5, 2010
- Constitutional Challenge to California's Proposition 8, March 24, 2010
- Problem Solving Courts: A Conversation with the Experts, November 6, 2009
- A Powerful Electorate?: The Impact of Election Law on American Democracy, October 16, 2008
- Maryland Legal Services Corporation 25th Anniversary Symposium: Recognizing Twenty-Five Years of Accomplishments and Setting an Agenda for the Future, October 11, 2007
- Past Symposia